- This event has passed.
Sgraffito Tile Workshop with the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art
January 9 at 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$10.00
The Cedar Rapids Museum of Art and the Iowa Ceramics Center & Glass Studio bring you a fun and fabulous art-making workshop for all ages. Sgraffito is a pottery decorating technique that’s similar to scratch-art, so you can make it as simple or detailed as you want. All participants will be creating a 6×6 tile project. They will then be kiln fired and available for pickup on January 23rd. Pre-registration is required and space is limited. Kids ages 8 and under MUST be accompanied by an adult.
To adhere to all COVID-19 protocols, we are holding multiple workshops through day on January 9th, in the ICCGS’s dedicated STEAM Classroom in the Cherry Building. Each workshop will be held on the hour, with 15 minutes between workshops to clean. Each workshop is limited to 8 people. Masks are mandatory and social distancing is required (for all non-family members).
· Date: Saturday, January 9th
· Time: Workshops every hour between 9am-3pm. Please select your specific workshop time upon registration.
· Cost: $10 per person
*Please note that due to covid restrictions, only those who have registered may be in the classroom. Our Saturday workshops are intended for all ages, pre-registration is required and space is limited. Kids ages 8 and under MUST be accompanied by an adult.
Pre-registration online is required for classes and most workshops. Kids ages 8 and under MUST be accompanied by a paying adult. Students’ work will be available for pickup on January 23rd. Please note that you will not be emailed or called to pick up your work. All remaining projects will be discarded after 60 days
Cancellation policy: ICCGS reserves the right to cancel sessions due to the minimum enrollment not being met. If weather or low enrollment causes this class to be canceled, you will be notified and offered an option for a take home project. All projects will be available for pickup on the day of the workshop.
All classes and workshops are held at: Iowa Ceramics Center and Glass Studio, located in the NewBo district in the Cherry Building at 329 10th Avenue Southeast in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The center is located on the first floor in Suite 117. Please enter the building through the 10th Avenue side of the building.
Current COVID-19 Protocols
We are committed to following the guidance of public health authorities and will adapt our plans as the situation needs.
● To ensure proper social distancing, tables are marketed with available space to maintain a safe distance. We ask that you remain in your designated area for the duration of the workshop
o Families will be seated together.
● We have reduced the capacity for classes and workshops to 50%
● Everyone who attends a workshop, must have paid for a seat to attend
● Everyone entering the Studio must wear masks at all times. Masks must cover your nose and mouth. This includes all employees, Instructors, Resident Artists and contract employees.
o Please note that the Cherry Building also requires masks to enter the building, with large signs posted on the entry doors.
o For children, parents must make sure that their children are able to wear a mask for the duration of the workshop. If your child is unable to wear a mask for 1.5 hours, we ask that you keep them at home.
● Students are required to disinfect their work area before and after using the studio.
● The studio is sanitized every morning, noon and at closing.
● For all workshops held in the S.T.E.A.M classroom, only workshop attendees and their instructors are allowed inside.
● We have expanded personal work areas for social distancing recommendations (6 feet)
● Availability of hand sanitizer, bleach spray, paper towels and hand soap
● Students, Employees, RA’s and community members are asked to stay at home if they do not feel well, or have been exposed to COVID-19 and are currently under ‘quarantine status’.
● Everyone entering the studio is required to sign in and out of the studio.